fhi360 Graduate Intern-Strategy in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Strategy & Innovation (S&I) team is seeking a graduate-level intern. Under close supervision, the intern will perform entry to mid-level professional duties that provide professional growth and practical experience through market research on key international development trends, organizational strategic planning and collaborative and innovative thinking with the team. The S&I team is looking for a driven, strategic thinker who enjoys problem-solving, “thinking outside the box” and is naturally curious. Duties may include qualitative and quantitative data gathering and analysis; preparing written reports and presentations; accompanying employees on assignments; and conducting interviews with stakeholders to obtain information. Note: Specific activities vary by assignment.
• Under close supervision, an intern will perform entry level professional duties of moderate difficulty providing the opportunity for professional training in various functional areas throughout the company. Performs assigned duties to acquire knowledge of methods, procedures and standards required for successful performance. May perform duties such as gathering and organizing data to provide information for departmental special projects or reports; basic arithmetic computations; assist in preparing written reports; accompany professional level employees on assignments; conduct interviews with clients or internal personnel to obtain basic information for departmental use; contacts other departments or outside agencies by phone to request or give information and other related duties as assigned. Assignments serve to offer practical experience and broad exposure to the company’s organizational structure. Utilizes current company-wide and/or department specific software to complete assignments. Note: Specific activities vary by assignment. A wide range of college graduate majors are considered based on specific needs of department such as: Psychology, Social Work, Criminal Justice, Finance, Business Administration, Human Resources, Public Health, Purchasing, Public Administration, Community Development and Communications.• Analyzes, generates and maintains records and other reference material necessary for departmental use.• Composes, types and prints reports, general letters, spreadsheets, e-mail, and memoranda from rough drafts or general instructions, involving the assembly of data from computer and paper file or record sources.• Applies research techniques and analytical methods to the study of administrative systems, organizational structures, policies and procedures.• Conducts special studies in conjunction with a project, analyzes data and makes recommendations based upon studies.• Performs other duties assigned.
Accountabilities: • Applies research techniques and analytical methods to break down issues/problems into actionable information.• Analyze quantitative and qualitative data to understand external (industry) and internal (organizational) trends.• Develops landscape (or market) analyses by development sector, geography or other perspective.• Synthesizes and organizes large amounts of information or data into reports, concept notes or PowerPoint presentations for an executive or leadership audience.• Conducts special studies in conjunction with a project, analyzes data and makes recommendations based upon studies.• Brainstorms and collaborates and communicates with S&I team and other departments/stakeholders as needed to obtain information.• Performs other duties assigned. Problem Solving & Impact:• Works on problems of moderate scope that require analysis and evaluation of identifiable factors and interpretation of the situation.• Exercises judgment within defined and existing practices to determine specific work methods for obtaining results.• Decisions may affect a work unit or area within a department.
• Candidates pursuing a graduate level degree highly preferred (preference for interns who have foundational understanding of the international development industry and/or have a management consulting or strategy background).
• Requires intern to have at least 1 yr of graduate-level experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suites: World, PowerPoint, and Advanced Excel
• Proficiency and experience in Business Intelligence software (Power BI, Tableau, etc) a plus.
• Database programming language (R, Python, etc) a plus.
• Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
• Ability to read, write and speak fluent English.
• Ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
• Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO) and/or management or strategy consulting firm is a plus.
• Social entrepreneurship experience is a plus.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.